Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
The objective of motivational interviewing (MI) is to overcome resistance and apathy – to motivate the unmotivated. Everyone has the will and the ability to feel motivated. MI is a series of processes that bring out desire and motivation and create engagement. MI is an effective way to raise student motivation and job satisfaction, help individuals stuck in crisis reactions, and break patterns of destructive behavior.
The focus of the training is on human fellowship and empathy. Without a large measure of empathy, motivational interviewing is insensitive and ineffective. The key is to build a close but professional relationship with the individual and make the person feel that we sincerely have their best interests at heart.
Length: Three consecutive days or two consecutive days and one day later on. Aimed at organizations whose employees encounter individuals who are undergoing a crisis or are unmotivated. MI gives the employees a successful professional approach for dealing with these encounters.
Training is customized to the specific needs of the participants and combines theory with practical processes to develop tools to strengthen individuals who lack motivation.
- What is motivational interviewing? What is change?
- Core of MI: principles, processes, techniques and approaches.
- People who deal with people in change.
- Motivational interviewing is not a method, but rather a way of relating.
- Engagement: building trust and relationships.
- Focus: the importance of strategy and aim.
- Creating and preparing for change.
- From motivational work to the individual’s own decision to move forward.
- The course integrates theory and practical exercises.
Ulf Lidman Training courses complement each other and are part of a full series of programs aimed at providing professional crisis management support, bringing out motivation and helping employees feel comfortable and secure about both their skills and their working environment.
Each training course is customized to the specific requirements of the client. The various Ulf Lidman Training modules can also be combined to tailor-design a fully customized skills development program for your employees.